August 19, 2010
Friday Fragments: I manage to cook something edible
Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard. Collect humorous observations, "Heard" items, and other small gems and put them together in a Friday Fragments post. Friday Fragments are the brainchild of Mrs.4444 and you can find more at Half Past Kissin' Time.
- So last Sunday evening Sam decided he wanted to play in the water in his turtle sandbox which awesomely doubles as a little pool when there's no sand in it. I went to get the hose from the side of the barn and guess what? Some flippin' wasps had nested under the thing that holds the coiled hose and I got stung. We have paper wasps everywhere around our house, and one of the things I don't like about them is that they build these little mini-nest things that can be really small, so they can be anywhere. I got stung on the boob. AND in my opposite armpit. Ouch. What the heck is with my luck - last summer I got stung in the butt when I sat on one. I managed to get the hose off the coil anyhow using a rake handle and Sam got to enjoy his pool. I might bring this up when I need a list of "things I've done for you" later on. I have had a credit card sized welt on my boob since then, it gets a little less swollen every day but it ITCHES like a mofo.
- I have a problem with the way everyone is so weird and freaked out about GERMS these days. Really? If you don't wash your hands every five minutes it's going to be okay. You don't need to use bleach wipes to sanitize your house. The latest thing that has been driving me mad is this:
Lysol decided that it is unacceptable for there to be germs on your handsoap pump. Here's what I don't get... isn't the only time you touch that pump right before you WASH YOUR HANDS, which would remove any germs anyway? Isn't this just freakishly excessive?
- Is anyone else totally skeeved out by the commercials for those Kool Aid Fizzer things? It shows the kid putting the fizzy tablet in the water then zooms in and there are all these weird creatures and stuff swimming around in there. It just gives me the willies.
- Justin and I got to go to the Northwest Washington Fair on Tuesday and wander around, see his nieces and ride their horses, and see Weird Al in concert. It was a lot of fun. And I got to eat a funnel cake, since I didn't start Weight Watchers again until Wednesday.
- Speaking of Weight Watchers, I started counting points again on Wednesday. If you know me, you know that I don't cook. Well, I decided that needs to change. I have our menus planned for the next 3 weeks and ingredients are already purchased for the next 2. I am doing things I've never done before, like cooking cuts of meat in a pan (not ground or stir fried). On Wednesday night, I made this:
Chicken Florentine with whole wheat spaghetti. Um, another thing about me - I HATE vegetables. I have never eaten them. BUT I need to, otherwise I won't really be that healthy. This was an assload of spinach to eat, for me. But you know what? It was actually good. Also, since there were 4 servings I stored the others individually in the fridge so Justin can just grab them to take to work for lunch, which is one of his challenges with losing weight. A successful first attempt. On Thursday I made quesadillas with whole wheat tortillas, refried beans, tomato, jalapeno, scallops and guacamole. They were good. My mom just fainted when she read that I ate beans.
- This was the final week of the 31 Days to Build a Better Blog challenge, and I totally plan to write a wrap-up post, but this week I didn't have a lot of time in the evenings for blogging somehow. I'll probably post it Monday.